Delicious homemade pretzel bites with only half the effort! These bites start with a store bought pizza dough & are finished with butter & salt. Dip them in mustard, cheese sauce or eat em’ plain! Either way, they’re delicious & so easy!
Pretzel Bites are always my favorite snack! When it comes to snack foods, something you can eat with your hands is always a must! Something you can eat with your hands & dip in various sauces is even more of a must. A few years back, soft pretzels really blew up & became such a food trend. They were on every restaurant menu in town & I was not complaining. I am a soft pretzels’ number one fan. I even have a pretzel ornament that makes an appearance on my tree every Christmas. But I digress. Basically what I’m trying to say is, I love pretzels & I really hope you do too.
What’s the Short Cut?
You are more than welcome to make pretzel dough from scratch, but let’s be real here people. Who has that kind of time? Not me. I also don’t love making messes, & any time I try making a bread dough from scratch, it’s a whole mess. That’s why I called in everyone’s favorite short cut for this recipe: store bought pizza dough. There is still a little work that goes into this recipe but it’s nothing you can’t handle! Below are the only ingredients you’ll need for this recipe & I bet you already have ¾ of these in your kitchen.
What you need to make Short Cut Pretzel Bites
- store bought pizza dough
- baking soda
- sea salt
Start to finish these pretzel bites only take about 40 minutes to make, & that’s counting the 20 minutes they spend in the oven, making them the perfect party food.
Let’s Get Saucy!
These pretzel bites are delicious on their own, but we’re all about the sauces over here! Brown or spicy mustard is always a fantastic condiment for these guys, but if you really want to wow your guests, go for the cheese sauce! There are hundreds of amazing cheese sauce recipes out there so I won’t bore you with one here. Barbecue sauce would also make a really fun dip for these pretzels. Maybe even buffalo sauce??
Short Cut Pretzel Bites Variations
These pretzel bites can easily be adjusted to be made smaller or larger depending on your preferences, just boil & bake them for a shorter or longer period to compensate for the size difference! If you really want to shake things up though, make the cinnamon sugar version because who doesn’t love sweets?? No matter how you make them, I guarantee you’ll love them, & once you see how easy they come together, they’ll be making appearances on all your party menus to come!
Short Cut Pretzel Bites
- 1 lb Pizza Dough store bought
- 2-4 tablespoons Flour for dusting work surface
- ¼ cup Baking Soda
- 2 tablespoons Butter melted
- Sea Salt for serving
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Rest pizza dough on the counter for 30 minutes to allow it to come to room temperature.
- Dust a clean work surface with flour & dump out the pizza dough.
- Using a bench scraper or knife, divide the dough into 8 equal pieces.
- Roll out each piece into a long rope until the dough is about ¾ of an inch thick all the way around.
- Working one rope at a time, cut the bites into 1 inch pieces, making sure to not push down on the dough too hard.
- Once all the bites have been cut, move them to a lightly floured sheet pan to rest while you bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Once the water has come to a boil, carefully add the baking soda. The water will bubble up & get very foamy, this is normal. If it starts to boil over, lower the heat slightly.
- Working in 3-4 batches, boil the pretzel bites for 20 seconds, making sure to stir them around so they don't stick together.
- After 20 seconds, carefully remove the bites using a slotted spoon or a spider & rest them on a baking sheet to dry.
- Once the bites have dried slightly (a little water on the baking sheet is okay) pop them in the oven to cook for about 10 minutes, until they slightly begin to brown & are cooked in the center.
- Remove them from the oven & toss them in a bowl with the melted butter. Make sure all the bites are coated in butter, then place them back on the baking sheet. Sprinkle the bites with salt.
- Pop them back in the oven for another 10 minutes, until they become browned.
- Serve with mustard or cheese sauce!