Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole is layers of all your favorite breakfast items, baked together until warm and melty! It’s the perfect make-ahead brunch dish.
Waking up on Christmas morning is easily one of the most exciting feelings. The only thing to make that feeling even better is waking up to the smell of cheesy sausage & hash brown casserole baking away in the oven. This recipe is super simple & can easily be made ahead of time so you don’t have to wake up any earlier on Christmas morning to make breakfast! You can assemble the whole casserole a day or two in advance & just pop it in the oven in the morning!
What you need to make Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole
- olive oil
- hash browns
- kosher salt
- breakfast sausage
- cheddar cheese
How to Assemble the Casserole
Begin by cooking the hash browns according to the package directions. As the hash browns begin to brown, remove them from the pan and place in a large mixing bowl. Once all hash browns are cooked, sautéed the onions. Transfer cooked onions to the bowl with the hash browns and move onto the sausage. Brown the sausage, then transfer it to a plate lined with paper towel to drain the excess grease.
To assemble the casserole, layer in the hash brown and onion mixture. Then top with cooked sausage. Pour over the eggs, making sure it is evenly distributed.
Lastly, cover the top with shredded cheese.
At this point, the casserole can be covered tightly with plastic wrap and foil, to be stored in the fridge for up to 2 days before serving. If cooking immediately, you can transfer it, covered, directly into the oven. If you are preparing the casserole ahead of time, make sure to remove the plastic wrap before cooking.
Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole with Sausage
- 2 20oz bags Hashbrowns frozen or refrigerated
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 large Yellow Onion medium diced
- 1 lb Breakfast Sausage
- 12 Eggs scrambled
- 6 oz Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375° & prepare a baking dish by spraying it with nonstick spray, then set aside.
- Cook the hash browns according to package & season with 1 teaspoon salt. As the hash browns begin to brown remove them to a large bowl. Once all the hash browns have browned & are moved to the bowl, begin cooking the onions.
- Saute the onions in olive oil set over medium heat. Cook until onions are translusent and soft, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and add to the bowl with the hashbrowns.
- Return the pan to the heat & cook the sausage over medium heat until browned & cooked through. Make sure to break up the sausage with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- Once the sausage has cooked through it’s time to assemble the casserole. Begin by laying down the hashbrown and onion mixture. Then scoop on the sausage using a slotted spoon to leave off any excess oil.
- Season the eggs with salt and pepper and pour over the casserole. Tilt the pan around to ensure the eggs are evenly distributed.
- Finally, sprinkle the top with cheese* and bake, covered, for 40 minutes. Then bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes.