A perfect combination of cheese tortellini, mozzarella & fresh vegetables tossed in a basil pesto. This pasta salad is best when made ahead of time, making it the perfect dish to bring to all of your summer barbeques!
Turn up the volume on classic pasta salad with a Pesto Tortellini Pasta Salad. This dish comes together incredibly easily, using fresh summer ingredients. Pasta salad is best when it has a chance to chill in the refrigerator, so I recommend making this dish the day before if possible!
What You Need To Make Pesto Tortellini Pasta Salad
The ingredient list for this recipe is a pretty short one, and some of the ingredients can be swapped for items you already have on hand, making it the perfect summer side dish!
- Cheese Tortellini
- Red Onion
- Artichoke Hearts
- Mozzarella (Ciliegine is the best size for this recipe)
- Cherry Tomatoes
How to Make Pesto Tortellini Pasta Salad
Outside of boiling the tortellini, all of the prepped ingredients are tossed together in a large bowl. Once the vegetables are prepped, this recipe comes together incredibly quickly.
- Begin by cooking and draining one package of refrigerated cheese (or other flavor) tortellini.
- Add spinach to mixing bowl then immediately top with hot tortellini. The heat from the tortellini will slightly wilt the spinach, making it easier to mix together. I also recommend assembling the pasta salad when the tortellini is still warm because the pesto will better absorb into the tortellini. Add pesto and gently stir the ingredients together.
- Next, add the remaining ingredients and give it all a good mix, until everything is well combined.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, but up to overnight, before serving.
Questions About the Recipe
Absolutely! This pasta salad can be eaten right away and will still be delicious. It will just have more flavor if it has a chance to chill in the refrigerator.
I love to use cheese tortellini for this recipe, but spinach (or any other flavor) would also be just as delicious!
Check out more Salad recipes, here!
Pesto Tortellini Pasta Salad
- 9 oz Cheese Tortellini
- 3 oz Spinach
- 1 cup Pesto
- ½ Red Onion thinly sliced
- 1 14oz can Artichoke Hearts drained, rinsed & quartered
- 8 oz Ciliegine Mozzarella
- 1 pt Cherry Tomatoes sliced in half
- Begin by bringing a large pot of water to a boil and cook tortellini according to package.
- Once tortellini finishes cooking, drain and begin assembling the salad while the tortellini is still warm.
- In a large bowl, combine spinach, tortellini and pesto. Stir to begin incorporating then add red onion, artichoke hearts, mozzarella and cherry tomatoes.
- Stir to combine all ingredients then cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, up to overnight, before serving.