Classic Roast Beef Sandwiches reimagined. These sandwiches feature a slather of horseradish cream sauce and are topped with roast beef, cheddar cheese, arugula and quick pickled onions. All atop a crusty loaf of toasted ciabatta bread.
Summer is in full swing which means sandwiches are being made on repeat! I love to take classic sandwich combinations and amp up the flavor. These sandwiches start with a tangy and slightly spicy 3 ingredient horseradish cream sauce, then are topped with so many delicious things. You can serve the sandwiches as is or you can turn them into pressed sandwiches. Check out the recipe card for how to press them. Roast beef sandwiches are delicious when served poolside, at the beach, on a picnic, or anywhere else your summer adventures take you!
What You Need To Make Roast Beef Sandwiches with Horseradish Cream Sauce
This recipe comes together with just a few ingredients but has such an elevated flavor for your everyday sandwich.
- Horseradish Cream Sauce- This quick 3 ingredient sauce adds a punch of flavor as well as a nice creamyness to the sandwich. Combine mayo, dijon mustard and prepared horseradish for the ultimate roast beef accompaniment.
- Ciabatta Bread– Ciabatta bread is perfect for this sandwich because it has a crusty exterior and chewy interior that provides a good crunchy base when toasted.
- Arugula– The peppery bite of arugula brings a much needed freshness to the sandwich.
- Roast Beef– For this sandwich I love to ask the deli counter for thinly sliced roast beef, so I can pile it high.
- Mild Cheddar Cheese– Mild cheddar cheese brings just enough flavor to the sandwich, without overpowering the other flavors. (Tillamook is my favorite for sliced cheese)
- Quick Pickled Onions– You can find the recipe for my Quick Pickled Onions here. They are the perfect acidic and crunchy finish to these sandwiches.
How to Make Roast Beef Sandwiches with Horseradish Cream Sauce
To assemble the sandwiches, slice Ciabatta loaf in half lengthwise, and toast for a few minutes, until the top is lightly browned but still soft to the touch. Slather the Ciabatta loaf with horseradish cream sauce on both sides. Add arugula to the bottom half of the bread, then top with roast beef.
Next, add cheddar cheese then top with pickled red onions and close the sandwich. Slice into 6 equal pieces.
What to Serve with the Sandwiches
- Potato Chips
- Caesar Salad
- Potato Salad
- Dill Pickle Spears
- Watermelon Slices
- Pasta Salad
- Fruit Kabobs
Roast Beef Sandwiches with Horseradish Cream Sauce
- ¼ cup Mayo
- 2 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 tablespoons Prepared Horseradish
- 1 loaf Ciabatta
- 3 cups Arugula
- ¾ lb Roast Beef thinly sliced
- 6 slices Medium Cheddar Cheese thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Pickled Red Onions recipe linked in blog post
- In a small bowl, prepare the horseradish cream sauce by combining mayo, dijon and horseradish. Stir and set aside.
- Slice Ciabatta loaf in half lengthwise, and toast for a few minutes, until the top is lightly browned but still soft to the touch.
- Slather the Ciabatta loaf with horseradish cream sauce on both sides. Add arugula to the bottom half of the bread, then top with roast beef and cheddar cheese. Top with pickled red onions and close the sandwich. Slice into 6 equal pieces.