A delicious blend of mashed sweet potatoes, brown sugar and warm spices all whipped together and topped with bruleéd marshmallows for a sweet and creamy side dish.
Sweet Potato Casserole is the epitome of classic comfort food. It’s warm, creamy, melty and oh so sweet! It’s the perfect side dish for any special meal and the whole family is sure to love it. Sweet Potato Casserole pairs well with roasted turkey, a whole roasted chicken, beef tenderloin, pork chops and so much more. You’ll definitely want to add this casserole to your holiday menu!
What You Need To Make Classic Sweet Potato Casserole
- Sweet Potatoes
- Whole Milk
- Salted Butter
- Brown Sugar
- Kosher Salt
- Ground Nutmeg
- Ground Clove
- Maple Syrup
- Vanilla Extract
- Mini Marshmallows
How to Make Sweet Potato Casserole
This recipe is such a show stopper but is actually quite simple to assemble. There are only a few simple steps but when the casserole emerges from the oven beautifully golden brown and melty, smelling incredible, you’ll be the holiday super star!
To begin, add your chopped potatoes to a large pot and cover completely with cold water. Season generously (similarly to pasta water) and bring to a boil. Once the water begins to boil lower the heat to a simmer, and cook until the potatoes are completely fork tender, about 10 minutes. Drain well and return the potatoes to the pot.
Using a potato masher (or a pasty cutter which is my tool of choice, this is the one I have & recommend) begin mashing the potatoes. Mash until there are no large lumps left. Then add the remaining ingredients (except for the marshmallows) and mash until fully combined.
Once fully combined, pour sweet potato mixture into a large oven safe baking dish. Top with marshmallows then bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until bubbling and top is deeply golden brown and melty.
Questions About Sweet Potato Casserole
To make this recipe ahead of time, prepare the potato mixture and add to your baking dish. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator until it’s time to bake. Add marshmallows and bake as directed.
For more potato recipes, check out my Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes or Air Fryer Breakfast Potatoes!
Classic Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3 lbs Sweet Potatoes peeled & cut onto cubes
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 1 stick Salted Butter
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar loosely packed
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Clove
- ¼ cup Maple Syrup
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 bag Mini Marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Add chopped potatoes to a large pot and cover with cold water. Season generously with salt and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook the potatoes for about 10 minutes, until fork tender.3 lbs Sweet Potatoes
- Once tender, drain the potatoes and add them back to the pot. Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes until there are no big lumps. Then, add remaining ingredients (minus the marshmallows) and combine all ingredients until fully incorporated.1 cup Whole Milk, 1 stick Salted Butter, ¼ cup Brown Sugar, ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt, 1 teaspoon Cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon Ground Nutmeg, ¼ teaspoon Ground Clove, ¼ cup Maple Syrup, ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Pour sweet potato mixture into a large oven safe baking dish and top with mini marshmallows. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until top is golden brown and casserole is bubbling.1 bag Mini Marshmallows